On June 2, 1925 the Providence Cycledrome officially opened off North Main Street near the Providence-Pawtucket line. Its name is derived from its intended use as a bicycle racing stadium (velodrome). Cycling was immensely popular in Rhode Island and the Cycledrome attracted the leading cyclists from all over the world. The racing venue replaced the Cycledrome on Reservoir Avenue in Cranston (1919-24) and was a larger and faster track. Motor-paced and sprint racing drew crowds of over 10,000 spectators and hosted the "Race of Nations" and "The Golden Wheel" racing classics and national championships.
The stadium was also home to the Providence Steam Roller football team who played their games in the infield of the velodrome. The football field was snugly surrounded by a wooden track with steeply-banked ends which cut sharply into the end zones and reduced them to just five yards in depth. During football games temporary seating was permitted on the straight-away portion of the track which was so close to the field that players, after being tackled, often found themselves in the stands. In 1930 floodlights were installed at the stadium for night games and the Steam Roller became the first NFL team to host a game under lights. The undefeated Providence Huskies football team also played their only professional season there in 1933.